Thursday, May 19, 2011

A song that has definitely gone through the "folk process"

I was on youtube searching for folk videos because I don't have a wide selection on my itunes and found the catchy song "Hobo's Lullaby" that, I am pretty sure, we saw performed by Larry Hanks. To my surprise, or maybe not a surprise anymore, there were many variations of this song performed by all different types of singers. They ranged from Pete Seeger's to Bruce Springsteen to several Japanese artists. One thing that I kept noticing in all of the captions of the videos was that nobody really knew who wrote the song. (It's Goebel Reeves by the way.)
"Hobo's Lullaby" is a song that has definitely gone through what we have been discussing in class as the folk process. I hope you enjoy the different video versions of the song, and there are lots more on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment