Friday, May 13, 2011

Different Types of Music

i think it's a shame what music has become today. what we call "mainstream" should be called "brainless music for unintellectual's" because that is really what it is. mainstream hip hop and rap have received by far the worst reputation out of all other genres of music. people hear the hip hop that is being played on the radio and automatically hate the whole genre because what they are hearing is so horrible, but what they don't realize is the musicians on the radio have willingly sold their dignity, souls, and pride to big record producers. right now the top hip hop song on billboard's top 100 is "look at me now" by chris brown. one verse from the song goes as follows:
Lil n-gga bigger than gorilla
Cause I'm killing every n-gga that
Try to be on my sh-t
Better cuff your chick if you with her
I can get her
And she accidentally slip fall on my d-ck
Ooops, I said on my d-ck
I aint really mean to say on my d-ck
But since we talking about my d-ck
All of you haters say hi to it
I'm Done

quality lyrics, right? if you think so, i'm a little worried for you... but keep in mind that this is only one genre of hip hop. deborah robbins, larry hanks, and mark ross didn't enjoy the kingston trio because they were too catchy and weren't as concerned about getting a message across, well i don't like mainstream hip hop because of the same reason. the people in the music industry right now are selling themselves out so they can make the most money, while there are real musicians who are more concerned with making meaningful lyrics than making money. this is the first verse from an underground hip hop artist.
"Joe Metro" by blue scholars

I reach beneath the skin of the street with each step
Walkin' closer to my final destination of death
When I'm layin' to rest, I'm only savin' my breath
The Northwest fills the lungs, heals the pain in my chest

the first verse to this song alone is better than anything we will ever hear on the radio and it's unfortunate because they are the ones with the most talent and poetic lyrics. i also wrote this poem about my views on mainstream vs underground hip hop.

It’s a shame that hip-hop has become the pit stop

For shit slop and yet we still encourage thoughtless

Musicians by begging to know when their next track will drop

If people took a minute to listen to the words these mainstream rappers are rappin’

They’ll see that they’re being fed empty lines straight from the trash bin

The media has made it close to impossible for people to find lyrical musicians

That use poetry to vocally voice a view instead of bragging about their long list of sex positions

Poetry is a part of me, you can hear it in my heart, it beats

Steadily to the melody, carefully conducted chemistry

DJ plus MC times a remedy of lyrical quality is the perfect recipe

Nas, Biggy, Pac, J. Live, J 5, A Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, The Pharcyde

To a hip hop head they left a legacy as memorable as John Kennedy

Kanye West, Lil Wayne and 50 Cent all think they’re better then the rest

Because they make more money than Ron Artest

The songs making it to the radio stations are about money, hoes, fresh clothes,

Honey’s, Playboy Bunnies bending over and touchin’ their toes, cars with big rims and sold out shows, it’s scary that there is less praying going on in monasteries

Than these rappers have words in their vocabulary

Lyrics can change lives, inspire people to thrive

If we keep supporting musicians that push their dignity to the side,

While producers put a price on their pride

Then all we will ever have is a blind music industry with no eyes

Someday I hope to hear at least one line on the radio

That doesn’t have to do with rappers bitch to dick ratio

I love hip-hop and I’ll always be lyric bound

But until rappers start rapping their soul, I’ll represent the underground



No comments:

Post a Comment